Set your alarm clock, it’s back to school time! Whether this is your child’s very first year attending school or returning for another, we want it to be fun and safe. These back to school tips will ensure a hassle-free school year for both parents and kids.
We as parents, no matter how prepared we think we are, can struggle in the morning with getting our children out the door. The key to peaceful mornings begins with the previous night’s bedtime routine. Getting a solid night’s rest will lead to a pleasant morning. It is important to get your child accustomed to going to bed at a decent time again after late-night bug catching, fire work watching, and sleeping in!
It makes sense to start maybe a week prior to actual “go” time. While your children are picking out their bedtime stories, utilize this time to pick out the clothes they will be wearing in the morning. Setting the whole outfit out in a reachable place allows your child the opportunity to dress themselves in the morning. It also creates much needed independence and pride.
As the morning comes, one SECRET to success is to get ready before you even attempt to wake up your children. We’re talking walk-out-the door with your travel mug of coffee ready. This allows you to focus on your children in the morning and not feel rushed.
A few quick helpful hints to happy mornings:
- Preparing backpacks, the night before
- Always check your child’s backpack for project assignments and or show and tell dates
- Do homework right after school
- Set up a calendar that is strictly focused with school events and hang it in a place you will always remember to look
- Create a pencil box that is specific for homework, fill it with supplies: glue sticks, sharpened pencils, erasers, coloring crayons, color pencils, safety scissors and markers. Keep it in one location so it is always easily accessible.
- Find library books that are due the night before
- If rain is in the forecast set out an umbrella with the backpack
- If colder weather is in the air set out gloves and hats along with coats by the backpack
- Move car seats around the evening before if needed
- Teach your child to put shoes in the same spot each afternoon